In a week, you will interview for a position as the new emergency manager in a city of 200,000 people in the Midwest United States. Because of your academic qualifications and your volunteer activities, which have allowed you to gain a practical insight and understanding about important issues in homeland security and emergency management, you are one of three finalists.
Unfortunately, the person who previously held the position failed to effectively engage in strategic planning in any way (the primary reason for his dismissal).
The assistant city manager who will interview you for the position and make the hiring decision stated in an e-mail that among other topics, she wants to discuss strategic planning during your interview. More specifically, she wants to discuss how you would identify and plan for homeland security-related goals for the city and how you will go about creating the city’s homeland security strategic plan.
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
- What would you do to ensure that you are properly prepared for
- What specific steps would you take to feel completely comfortable with strategy concepts during this interview? Explain.
- Which core concepts associated with strategic planning would
you be sure to discuss during the interview? Why?
- Which of the concepts stated in your response to the question above do you think is the most important? Be sure to justify your response.
- How would you relate those core concepts to homeland security and tailor them specifically to the city in question?
Task Two 500-750 words and cite references APA forma
The attacks on 9/11 exposed the United States to a new type of threat. Although concerns over terrorism were a significant national security issue in the 1990s, it is clear that the 9/11 attacks exposed a significant vulnerability to the homeland. The 9/11 attacks, however, are now over a decade old.
In this scenario, you are a key policy advisor on the National Security Council (NSC). The National Security Advisor has tasked you with developing a background paper that identifies the nation’s original homeland security goals with the aim of examining the original intent of the strategy.
Be sure to address the following in your paper:
- Identify the United States' original homeland security goals and the mission areas identified in the strategy.
- Discuss the primary motivation for developing this strategy.
- Discuss the differences between a national versus a solely federal strategy.
Other samples, services and questions:
When you use PaperHelp, you save one valuable — TIME
You can spend it for more important things than paper writing.