Families often wish that parenting came with a manual. Your summative assignment is to develop a PowerPoint presentation designed as a comprehensive summary of the course. The presentation will demonstrate an understanding of philosophies, theories, and concepts learned and how they apply to family relationships. In a 12- to 14-slide PowerPoint presentation (not including the title, purpose, and reference slides) you will create a presentation to share with your staff to help them best support the families they will be working with. The Final Project represents 20% of the overall course grade.
Focus of Final Project
Create a PowerPoint presentation for your early childhood education center. The presentation must include the following:
- Title slide
- Purpose (Objective) statement slide detailing the importance of positive parenting.
- APA Style Reference slide with at least two scholarly sources and the course text. Format your presentation according to APA as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
In addition, include slides that address the following:
- Defining Family: Explain your definition of family and how this definition will allow you to provide family-centered support. This slide was part of your Week Three assignment, so make sure to revise this slide based on your instructor’s feedback.
- How Parenting Has Changed: Discuss at least two ways that parenting has changed. Refer back to your Week One Discussion One to assist with this. This slide was part of your Week Three assignment, so make sure to revise this slide based on your instructor’s feedback.
- Parenting Styles: Explain the four different parenting styles. Refer back to your Week One assignment to assist with this. This slide was part of your Week Three assignment, so make sure to revise this slide based on your instructor’s feedback.
- Grandparents as Parents: Explain how parents can include grandparents as influences in their child's life. Refer back to Week Two Discussion Two to assist with this.
- Collaborating with Families: Describe two strategies you will use to collaborate with families. Refer back to your Week Two assignment to assist with this.
- Poverty: Explain poverty and how it impacts both parents and children. Describe to parents how you will support their child in the classroom. Offer at least two outside resources to support your families. Refer back to your Week Two assignment to assist with this.
- Culture and Parenting: Describe two ways you will be sensitive to the cultural needs of the families you work with. Refer back to Week Three Discussion One to assist with this.
- Diverse Family Structures: Explain at least two strategies that you will use to foster inclusion of all diverse family structures, so that all children will feel supported, regardless of their family configuration. Refer back to your Week Three Discussion Two to assist with this.
- Balancing Home and Work: Describe two strategies you can share with families to help them balance work and home life. Refer back to Week Four Discussion One to assist with this.
- Childcare: Explain the positive effects of a quality childcare program. Refer back to Week Five Discussion Two to assist with this.
- Conclusion slide: Restate your opening thesis statement and explain to parents that your classroom is tolerant, supportive, and encouraging to all families.
The Final Project
- Assignment Length: Your presentation must include 11 slides (not including title and reference slides).
- Title Slide: Inclusion of a separate title slide with the following:
- Title of presentation
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Source Requirement: Reference four scholarly sources in addition to the text. All sources included in the reference list must be cited in the portfolio.
- APA Formatting: Use APA formatting consistently throughout the assignment, which includes citations in the body of the assignment, the title page, and references list, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Syntax and Mechanics: Display meticulous comprehension and organization of syntax and mechanics, such as spelling and grammar.