You are the new owner of a local ice cream store located in a strip mall adjacent to a university campus. You've decided to sell 20 flavors of ice cream and are contemplating whether to make the ice cream in-house or outsource its production to a nearby ice cream manufacturer whose brand is in most local supermarkets. You are also contemplating how much authority to delegate to the two assistant store managers and to employees working the counter and the cash register.
a. What are the pros and cons of contracting with the local company to custom-produce your product line?
b. Since you do not plan to be in the store during all the hours it is open, what specific decision-making authority would you delegate to the two assistant store managers?
c. To what extent, if any, should store employees – many of whom will be university students working part-time – be empowered to make decisions relating to store operations (opening and closing, keeping the premises clean and attractive, keeping the work area behind the counter stocked with adequate supplies of cups, cones, napkins, and so on)?
d. Should you create a policies and procedures manual for the assistant managers and employees or should you just give oral instructions and have them learn their duties and responsibilities on the job?
e. How can you maintain control during the times you are not in the store?
Discuss your answers with your class.
Read the case study, “Robin Hood” in Part Two of your textbook and discuss the following questions with your class.
- What problems does Robin Hood have? What issues need to be addressed?
- Do Robin Hood and the Merrymen need a new mission? New objectives? A new strategy?
- What strategic options does Robin Hood have? Is continuing with the present strategy an option or is the present strategy obsolete?
- Why not try to end the campaign by killing the Sheriff?
- What are the pros and cons of accepting the offer of the barons to assist in securing King Richard’s release from prison?
- What action plan would you recommend to Robin?
- How should Robin implement the recommended plan? What action steps will need to be taken to make the recommended strategy work successfully?
Include at least one APA-formatted citation from your textbook
LP10.2 Assignment: Final Case Study (Draft)
Read the Case Study, “Henkel: Building a Winning Culture” (Case #26) in Part Two of your textbook. Complete the Final Case Study Analysis of this company by using the required Case Study format on pages CA1 through CA11 of the textbook. Ensure your Case Analysis is in APA format.
This will be your first draft submission. Your instructor will provide feedback to your draft prior to your final submission of the Case Study. The Draft is due first
Final Case Study
Read the Case Study, Samsung's Environmental Responsibility: Striking the Right Note for Corporate Survival (Case #26) on page C-432 of your textbook. Complete the Final Case Study Analysis of this company by using the required Case Study format on pages CA1 through CA11 of the textbook. Ensure your Case Analysis is in APA format.
Ensure you make suggested revisions given by your instructor prior to submission.
The instructor posted this message:
It has been brought to my attention that the directions in LP 10 assignment are in error. They mention more that one case. This is incorrect. Here is the correct following:
Week 10 – Draft of Case # 31 Samsung [ I grade and give suggestions for improvement ]
Week 11 – Final Case # 31 Samsung
The 2nd case your are doing is a chance for you to apply some of the ideas and comments I put forth on your first case study. It is also important to use the grading rubric in the assignment and the case analysis section in the book. I will be grading this case much more closely to these standards.
I have the following suggestions:
- Make sure it is not hard to find needed parts. Break the analysis up into parts with heading and sub-headings.
- Look at the objectives of case analysis in the text on page CA2.
- Look at the preparation for discussion and written analysis in the text.
- You will need to include a financial component including your analysis.
- Need to get sources outside of text to help develop analysis.
- Need SWOT clearly defined.
- Identify specific strategic challenges in the analysis.
- Develop a specific strategic plan to fix the challenges. Must also include how you would implement.
These are some of the key things I will look for in the case. Also remember to follow the directions for the case.