You are to write a paper on a Brazilian artist, genre, or musical movement ofyour choice. The paper will be worth 200 points total. Here are a fewsuggestions to get you started:
1. Do an online search for a topic.
- The more popular Brazilian musical genres include: Bossa Nova, Choro, Forro, Frevo, Lambada, Mangue Beat, MPB, Samba, Sertaneja, and Tropicalia.
- Some, but certainly not all, of the Popular Brazilian artists include:
1) Jacob do Bandolim
2) Carlinhos Brown
3) Chico Buarque
4) Dori Caymmi
5) Gilberto Gil
6) Joao Gilberto
7 Luis Gonzaga
8) Tom Jobim
9) Sergio Menendes
10) Milton Nascimento
11) Edu Lobo
13) Elis Regina
14) Noel Rosa
15) Caetano Veloso
2. Select a Topic andemail it to me (Canvas mail) your choice on or before midnight, March 2, 2017.
3. Paper Requirements:
- Your paper should be three type-written pages, Times Roman, font size 12,double spaced
- You must use at least three references (ex. Oxford or Grove's Music on line,books, JSTOR articles, websites, etc.). Note: Wikipedia should not be used as a major source; however, it is an excellent starting place to form your bibliography
- You can use MLA, Chicago or whichever writing format you use for your discipline.
4. The body of your paper should include the following:
- Your name and date
- A brief history of the genre or biography of the artist you chose
- Cultural/Social influences on the genre or artist
- The effect of this genre or artist’s music on Brazilian society
- Be sure toquote your sources (use footnote citations, or parenthesis), in the body of your paper, and include a bibliography (works cited) page
- A brief analysis of a song or songs that represent the genre or artist’s style
- A Brief Summary
5.Submit the paper to me through the TURNITIN box in Canvas by 11:59 pm on April 21, 2017.