- There are many ways to access functional health.
- Describe in your own words what you understand by the term functional health.
- What are ADLs and IADLs? List the ADLS and IADLs and describe what they are.
- a. Researchers report that there has been a decrease in the rate of impairment in ADLs and IADLs among older adults in the past two decades. Discuss this statement with supporting numbers. What are the reasons for this decline?
2. b. Similarly, it is reported that there has been a decrease in nursing home residency over the past two decades. What factors do you think contribute to this decrease?
3. Quality of life is a multi-faceted construct. Describe what you understand by the term Quality of life.
4. Chapter 10 in Aldwin, Carolyn M., and Diane F. Gilmer. Health, Illness, and Optimal Aging: Biological and Psychosocial Perspectives states that “There are three major ways of defining stress (Mason, 1975). The first is as a physiological state of the organism (sometimes referred to as strain). The second is to define stress as a characteristic of the environment (or stressor). The third is to view stress as a transaction between the person and the environment.” Pick one of the three ways stress is defined and write a paragraph using some of the theories associated with the definition you chose.