In this assignment, you will develop an understanding of how good listening is crucial to effective communication and career success. In addition, you will perform a personal assessment of your communication skills and style. As a student studying healthcare administration and leadership in healthcare, you should be developing your own personal development plan to include a personal assessment of your communication skills. Listening is an integral part of the communication process. Communication in the healthcare setting is vital. This includes communication between doctors and patients, doctors and nurses, clinicians and administrators, and so on.
- Which topic of conversation makes you uncomfortable? What is the topic? Do you know why you find it difficult to talk about this topic?
- What do you do when you become uncomfortable during a conversation? Do you withdraw? Do you try to change the topic? Do you speak louder or softer? Do you begin to gesticulate?
- Have you had an occasion to talk to a very persuasive or very aggressive person? If you and this person hold different opinions, can you hold to your position? Are you easily “led” in a conversation?
- Are you flexible in a conversation? If a comment made by someone takes the conversation in an unexpected direction, can you adjust quickly? Can you assimilate new information, reassess your position, and continue the conversation?
- When entering into a conversation, do you attempt to eliminate potential distractions and interruptions?
- Do you have an understanding of body language gestures and posturing?
- In a self-assessment summary, provide a list of your communication strengths and weaknesses. Also, provide a plan to address the weaknesses identified.
- To support your work, use your course and textbook readings and also use the South University Online Library. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
- Your assignment should be addressed in a 2- to 3-page document.
- Submit your documents to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned.